Section: Board Governance and Operations
Title: SCHOOL COMMITTEE DECLARED VACANCIES AND ATTENDANCE REQUIREMENTS
Adopted: May 31, 2000
Last Revised: October 29, 2019
Prior Revised Dates: 2/5/2003
PORTLAND BOARD OF PUBLIC EDUCATION DECLARED VACANCIES AND
A vacancy in the membership of the Portland Board of Public Education (the Board) shall be declared upon the following events:
- The death of a member;
- The effective date of the resignation of a member;
- The removal of a member from the district from which they were elected;
- The removal of a member from the city;
- The conviction of a member for a felony while in office;
- The recall of a member pursuant to the provisions of the Portland City Charter; or
- The failure of a member to attend any six (6) consecutive regular meetings of the Board or at least sixty percent of the regular meetings of the Board in any one calendar year unless the member shall be excused by a vote of at least four (4) members of the Board for health reasons or other good cause.
As elected officials, Board members have a responsibility to attend all regular meetings of the Board and meetings of subcommittees to which they are assigned. When a member must be absent from a meeting, the member shall contact the Committee Chair (or chair of the subcommittee) and assigned staff member with as much advance notice as possible.
The minutes of each regular Board and subcommittee meeting shall reflect the names of the members present and those absent.
Portland City Charter (Article III, § 5)
BDE - STANDING COMMITTEES, SPECIAL COMMITTEES, CITIZEN ADVISORY PANELS
BDG - SCHOOL ATTORNEY/LEGAL SERVICES
BBB - School Committee Declared Vacancies and Attenance Requirements.pdf (76 KB)
BoardDocs is intended for the use of subscribers and licensed customers. All users are required to read and follow the acceptable use policy.