Section: Board Governance and Operations
Title: BOARD-SUPERINTENDENT RELATIONSHIP
Adopted: February 6, 1984
Last Revised: October 29, 2019
Prior Revised Dates: 11/17/2015
The Portland Board of Public Education (the “Board”) believes that exercising its legislative function through policymaking is its most important responsibility. The Board is also responsible for setting the direction for the school unit and evaluating progress toward goals.
The management of the schools is the function of the Superintendent. The Board holds the Superintendent responsible for complying with all applicable laws, rules and regulations; for administering Board policies and decisions; for the operation of the schools and educational program; for the system of supervision and evaluation of staff; and for keeping the Board informed about school operations, problems and opportunities. The Board recognizes that the Superintendent may delegate certain responsibilities to other personnel. Such delegation does not relieve the Superintendent of the final responsibility for actions taken.
The Board, collectively and as individual members, shall:
- Recognize the Superintendent as the educational leader of the school unit;
- Provide direction for the Superintendent through written policies, objectives and goals for the school unit;
- Give the Superintendent full administrative authority and support for properly discharging his/her professional duties, while holding their responsible for acceptable results;
- Hold all Board meetings in the presence of the Superintendent, except as otherwise permitted by law or when the Superintendent voluntarily excuses them self at the request of the Board.
- Refer complaints, criticisms, and requests to the Superintendent or other appropriate personnel and discuss them at Board meetings only after administrative solutions have been exhausted; and
- Evaluate the Superintendent and provide appropriate opportunities for the
Superintendent to share their perceptions regarding the working relationship between the Board and Superintendent.
20-A MRSA §§ 1001 et seq.; 1051 et seq.; 13201; 13301
BBA - POWERS AND AUTHORITY OF INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS OF THE PORTLAND BOARD OF PUBLIC EDUCATION
BCA - PORTLAND BOARD OF PUBLIC EDUCATION CODE OF ETHICS
CBI - Evaluation of the Superintendent
KEB - Complaints About School Personnel
BDD - Board-Superintendent Relationship.pdf (119 KB)
BoardDocs is intended for the use of subscribers and licensed customers. All users are required to read and follow the acceptable use policy.