Section: Facilities Development
Title: Naming Facilities
Adopted: November 28, 1984
Last Revised: October 21, 2009
The community shall be notified that a facility will be named or re-named. Suggestions for the name shall be solicited and the School Committee shall set a date for return of suggestions.
The School Committee shall establish a review panel including at least one member of the School Committee. The suggested names shall be reviewed and the selection of one or more names presented to the School Committee for approval or rejection. The School Committee may sit as the review panel.
The School Committee shall act on the proposed name at a public meeting. If the names are rejected, the School Committee may act as the review panel and resolve the problem at a public meeting.
Appropriate names for a school facility shall meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Preserves or honors history;
- Is place specific (such as street, neighborhood, or town names);
- Recognizes landmarks or geographic locations in proximity to the school;
- Honors a person who has made and outstanding contribution to teaching and learning or has given distinguished service to the Portland Public Schools; and/or
- Honors a person who has made a significant social contribution at the local, state, national or global level.
When this name is adopted, it shall be publicly announced with a notification sent to the City Council and the City Manager.