Title: Professional Staff Hiring
Adopted: November 28, 1984
Last Revised: January 8, 2003
PROFESSIONAL STAFF HIRING
Through its employment policies, the School Committee shall attempt to attract, secure, and hold the highest qualified personnel for all professional positions. The selection program shall be based upon an alertness to candidates who will devote themselves to the education and welfare of the children attending our public schools.
It is the responsibility of the Superintendent and of persons to whom he/she delegates this responsibility to determine the personnel needs of the school system and to locate suitable candidates to recommend to the School Committee for employment. Through effective administrative procedures, the Superintendent shall recruit and recommend to the School Committee the employment and retention of personnel who are motivated to do their best work and to be creative from their own inner resources.
It shall be the duty of the Superintendent to see that persons nominated for employment in the schools shall meet all certification requirements and the requirements of the School Committee for the type of position for which the nomination is made.
The following guidelines shall be used in the selection of personnel:
- There shall be no illegal discrimination in the hiring process;
- Interviewing and selection procedures shall assure that an administrator has the opportunity to aid in the selection of any staff member who will work under his/her supervision;
- No candidate shall be hired without a personal interview;
- All candidates shall be considered on the basis of their merits, qualifications, and the needs of the unit. In each instance, the Superintendent and others playing a role in the selection shall seek to hire the best qualified person for the job; and
- While the School Committee may accept or reject a nomination, an approval shall be valid only if made with the recommendation of the Superintendent. In the case of a rejection, it is the duty of the Superintendent to make another nomination.
BoardDocs is intended for the use of subscribers and licensed customers. All users are required to read and follow the acceptable use policy.