Title: School Volunteers
Adopted: November 28, 1984
Last Revised: January 7, 2009
The Portland School Committee supports the use of community resources, including volunteers, to complement and support instructional programs and extracurricular activities in the schools. Volunteers work in partnership with, under the supervision of, and at the request of school administrators and staff.
The purposes of the volunteer program are to:
- Assist teachers in providing more individualized instruction and enrichment opportunities for students; assist staff with school projects; supervise or chaperone student activities; and perform clerical work;
- Build an understanding of and support for school programs among interested citizens; and
- Strengthen school/community relations.
Prospective volunteers must complete an application form and confidentiality agreement. Background checks are conducted on volunteers who have close contact with students as part of their assignment(s). Applications will be screened and approved by authorized school personnel. Volunteer applications may be declined or volunteer services terminated if the Superintendent or building principal determine it is in the best interests of the School Department.
Authorized school personnel must approve all volunteer assignments before volunteers begin work. The supervising staff member is responsible for giving volunteers a clear understanding of the duties, procedures and expectations necessary to perform their assignments.
All volunteers who are approved to work with students and/or in support of school programs are expected to comply with the following requirements.
- Volunteers shall attend any required volunteer orientation/training sessions provided by the school department.
- Volunteers will work with students under the supervision and direction of authorized school staff.
- Volunteers shall perform only such duties and tasks specifically approved and assigned by an administrator or supervising staff member.
- Volunteers must keep all student and staff information strictly confidential.
- Volunteers may not access, review, disclose or use confidential student or staff information without specific authorization from a school administrator. This requirement applies even after a volunteer stops performing services for the schools.
- Volunteers will conduct themselves in a professional manner and comply with all Portland School Committee policies, school rules and directions from school personnel.
- In accordance with Maine law, a member of the Portland School Committee or a member’s spouse may not serve as a volunteer when he/she has primary responsibility for a curricular or extracurricular program or activity and reports directly to the Superintendent or a school administrator. For example, a Portland School Committee member could volunteer to chaperone a field trip or help out in a classroom with the teacher present and in charge, but could not volunteer to coach a sport or be an advisor to an extra-curricular activity.
The Superintendent may delegate specific responsibilities for implementing this policy to others as he/she deems appropriate. Administrative procedures or school rules governing volunteer programs may be implemented, consistent with Portland School Committee policies/procedures.
IJOC - School Volunteers.pdf (10 KB)
BoardDocs is intended for the use of subscribers and licensed customers. All users are required to read and follow the acceptable use policy.