Title: Rules for Student use of Cellular Telephones and Other Electronic Devices
Code: JFCK (2)
RULES FOR STUDENT USE OF CELLULAR TELEPHONES AND
OTHER ELECTRONIC DEVICES
- These devices may not be used in any manner that disrupts the educational process, is illegal, or violates Board policies and/or school rules.
a. During classes and school activities, all such devices must be turned off and out of sight.
b. The only exception to this rule is when a teacher specifically authorizes students to use such a personal electronic device for a specific purpose (such as entering an assignment in a PDA).
c. If this rule is violated, the teacher may immediately confiscate the device for the remainder of the school day, and discipline may be imposed as provided below.
- Students may use electronic devices between class periods and during lunch periods. Cellular telephones must be kept on “vibrate” mode to avoid disrupting others.
- Students may use electronic devices on field trips and during extracurricular activities only if authorized by the staff member in charge.
- The use of cameras in any type of electronic device is strictly prohibited in locker rooms and restrooms.
- In other locations and at times when students are allowed to use electronic devices, students are required to obtain permission before taking a photograph or video of any individual. Students must also obtain permission from any individual appearing in a photograph or video prior to posting on any social networking site or other Internet site such as YouTube.
- Any use of cellular telephones and other electronic devices that violates any Board policy/procedure or school rule is strictly prohibited. In addition, accessing, viewing, posting, forwarding, downloading or displaying any materials that are defamatory, abusive, obscene, vulgar, sexually explicit, sexually suggestive, threatening, discriminatory, harassing and/or illegal is prohibited.
- Student cellular telephones and other electronic devices may be subject to search if there is reasonable suspicion that a student is violating Board policies/procedures and/or school rules.
- A building administrator may maintain possession of an electronic device as long as is reasonably necessary for evidentiary purposes.
- Students violating these rules will be subject to discipline, which may include:
a. Not being allowed to bring electronic devices to school;
b. Sanctions ranging from detention to expulsion from school depending upon the nature of the offense and the student’s disciplinary record.
Evidence of illegal activities involving electronic devices will be referred to appropriate law enforcement authorities and a building administrator may give a device to law enforcement authorities upon request.
BoardDocs is intended for the use of subscribers and licensed customers. All users are required to read and follow the acceptable use policy.