Equity at the Center
We want the talents and contributions of all learners and all staff to be available to our communities. However, we have inherited educational policies and practices that systematically afford advantages to some groups while perpetuating inequities for others.
Timeline of recent PPS Equity Centered Initiatives:
- Administrators professional development equity focus (2016-current)
- Created Equity position (2017)
- Cultural Responsiveness Work Group: defines district equity literacy plan (2017-18 school year)
- First meetings between Indigenous leaders, from nations within the Wabanaki Confederacy and PPS, leading to PPS Wabanaki Studies creation. (2017)
- Equity Leaders Cohort launched (2018)
- Creation of PPS Equity Hiring Toolkit (2019)
- Educators of Color Insights Report (2020-21)
Enablers of Equity Successes in PPS
Family Partnership Advisory
Student calls for decolonizing curriculum and naming harassment, discrimination and sexual harassment issues.
- Improving data systems and practice
- Policy Audit: Center for Education Equity
- Foundation for Portland Public Schools