School-Based Health Center Services
In partnership with Portland, Westbrook and South Portland Public Schools and Maine Medical Center, Greater Portland Health (GPH) offers School-Based Health Center services at:
- Casco Bay High Schools
- Deering High School
- Portland Arts and Technology High School
- Portland High School
- King Middle School
Please complete the medical enrollment form to allow your child to receive school-based health services at any GPH School-Based Health Center and at any GPH primary care practice that serves children. If your child already has a regular primary care provider or mental health provider, you can still enroll them in GPH’s School- Based Health Center program. Our goal is that all children and their families are connected with a primary care medical home. GPH’s School-Based Health Centers supplement the services of your child’s regular primary care provider and coordinates care with them as appropriate. For more information, please visit:
Insurance claims will be submitted for services rendered as applicable. If a patient does not have insurance, Greater Portland Health offers a sliding fee scale.
School-Based Health Center Enrollment Packet
In the packet you will find:
- Medical Enrollment form – please fill out, sign and return to the school-based health center or the school nurse even if your child was enrolled last year as our forms have changed and updated information is needed
- Authorization for Disclosure of Information – please sign and return to the school-based health center or the school nurse even if your child was enrolled last year
- TigerConnect Text Messaging Application – please sign and return to the school-based health center or the school nurse even if your child was enrolled in using this texting application last year
- Greater Portland Health Notice of Health Information Practices – on the back of this letter – for you to keep
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about GPH’s School-Based Health Centers – for you to keep
- What schools have health centers?
- How do I enroll my child?
- Can my child be seen by a health care provider at a Greater Portland Health (GPH) SBHC or primary care practice if the enrollment form was not returned with a parent signature?
- What qualifies as a confidential visit?
- Do I need to enroll my child if they are already an established patient at GPH?
- Can children be seen at a SBHC if they do not have insurance?
- Will I get a bill if my family has no insurance?
- Why do you ask for household income information on the enrollment form? Can I refuse to answer this question?
- What is the difference between the roles of the school nurse and that of the SBHCs?
- What services are provided within the SBHCs?
- Should children be going to the school nurse first or going directly to the SBHC?
- Can my child be seen at the SBHC even if they do not attend that school?
- Do I need to re-enroll my child in GPH’s school-based health services every year? If my child leaves Westbrook, South Portland or Portland Schools, are they still a patient of GPH?
- What if my child needs medical care outside of school hours?
- Will my child be able to access the SBHC providers during periods of remote learning or modified school schedules?